When I saw the Tea for Two Designer Fabric in the Spring Catalog I fell in love with it and had to order it, in spite of the fact that I rarely sew. Here is a project that requires no sewing at all!
Usually I like to cover these little mini notebooks with pretty patterned paper. But for this project I decided to use fabric; here’s how:
What you’ll need:
1) a piece of fusible web big enough to cover the size of your notebook, front and back. Because this SU! fabric is lightweight, I used lite steam-a-seam 2.
2) a notebook (mine here are mini composition notebooks, size: 3 1/4″ x 4 1/2″)
3) a pair of scissors
4) a pencil
5) an iron
6) some pretty fabric big enough to wrap around your notebook.
How you’ll do it:
1) cut a piece of the fusible web material big enough to cover the size of your notebook, front and back
2) discard the paper protective piece
3) lay your fabric, right side down on your work surface and iron, if necessary
4) place the fusible web material, with the web side down onto the top of your fabric and iron into place
5) lay your notebook on top of the paper liner and trace around all edges, taking care to bend the spine of the notebook and trace around that portion as well. You want to make sure you have enough fabric to cover the notebook once it is closed
6) carefully cut around the area you traced with a pair of scissors
7) remove the paper liner and place the fabric on your notebook, taking care to line it up perfectly
8) iron the fabric onto your notebook about 10 to 15 seconds
9) trim edges, if necessary
Tip #1: follow the directions on your fusible web material
Tip #2: test first to see if you can see-through the fabric once placed on your notebook. If it shows through, just cover it first w/ a sheet of copy paper using adhesive
Tip #3: if you feel more comfortable, cut your fabric in step #6 slightly larger than what you’ve traced and just trim after you’ve ironed it onto your notebook. The web material should not fray.
There you have it – a cute little notebook to keep in your car, throw in your purse, or give away to someone special. Thanks for stopping by today!